Moving In

After nearly a year and a half of renovation and building, and a few weeks of frantic activity, we have finally settled into the new house. We are discovering all those things that were either buried in the move or have been packed away in boxes for the duration – it’s a wonderful discovery of how much you don’t need after all with the Op shops around us being blessed with a number of items that we obviously couldn’t part with 18 months ago but have now discovered otherwise.

The old Queenslander and the new Queenslander side by side.

The week before the move was filled with activity. At one stage we had plumbers, tilers and painters all working around each other; it’s amazing what a deadline can do to get things moving.

We started moving in over the Easter long weekend, giving ourselves a good week and a half to move everything and clean. This allowed us time to prepare the Queenslander ready for the new tenants.

The week leading up to Easter saw the installation of wardrobes and laundry glass sliding doors, the return of the tilers to finish off the kitchen, laundry and office kitchenette splash-backs, plus the return of the plumbers to complete the exterior sewerage and water connections and pipework. By 5pm on the Thursday the place was looking more like a house and less like a building site. It wasn’t until the following day, after we had moved beds and most of the other furniture across, that we realised that there still was no hot water connected – well at least the toilets flushed… Thankfully we still had access to the Queenslander for showers for the following week as the plumbers didn’t return until the next Friday.

During the week leading up to Easter we also had carpet installed throughout the upstairs bedrooms and living area. It is divine; we can even make carpet angels in it the pile is so long and plush. It is the first time we have had a quality carpet installed in a home and I’m really enjoying the feel underfoot.

The glass balustrading allows light to filter downstairs illuminating the hallway.

The week after Easter saw the installation of the glass balustrading panels to the stairwell and the rear balcony. I breathed a sigh of relief once this was done as I don’t do heights very well. Along with improving the safety aspect it also looks great. It is finished with an aluminium capping which also provides a discreet handrail.

The rear of the house has a small balcony off the master bedroom with a glass balustrading, this promotes the feeling of being in the tree tops.

Since the shift, we have been cleaning and organising things. We are still waiting on the installation of the glass shower screens; thankfully we have been able to improvise and are using a plastic curtain in one of the bathrooms temporarily.

Like anyone building on a budget, we will have to wait and save up for some of the other finishing features. That’s ok, it was a great feeling to finally move in. After almost a lifetime of travelling around and living in different places, we are hopeful that this will be one of our last moves. At least it is a lovely base to come home to between my work trips anyway.

Print Friendly

2 thoughts on “Moving In

  • April 29, 2016 at 8:47 pm
    Permalink

    It looks brilliant! Well done. Just wondering if it took as long as it did by choice or necessity? Am I right in assuming it was a complete Reno and new dwelling? We are contemplating lifting our place, building underneath and adding 2 rooms top and bottom and hopefully living on site in our caravan and shed during this time. There are six of us( husband, myself and 4 sons. Do you think we’re insane? We are both pretty hands on so what projects could we tackle ourselves? Husband has previously done tiling,demolition and ceilings. Also, if it’s not a rude question, around how much did the entire project cost?
    Cheers in advance,
    Alison

    Reply
    • May 1, 2016 at 4:43 pm
      Permalink

      Hi Alison, yes you probably are a little insane but hey so am I. It was a total renovation and new build which is why it took so long. We started the renovation late 2014, it took about less than a week to demolish the side verandah ready for the move. Then another week for the lift, slide and demolition of the block wall under the house. Another week or so for the re-stumping then it was down tools time for the workers for a few weeks over the Christmas break. The house was at lock up stage reasonably quickly and originally we were going to take it from there. Our increased work commitments though made it more effective and efficient to keep the builder on the job. We were able to move back in to the home after 6 months. If you are handy you could of course do much of the fit out yourselves, we have in the past. I have found that the best place to save money is in the painting, it cost $20,000 to paint inside and out – get a paint sprayer though. Also consider painting the top half of the house that will form the upper level as painting on trestles that high up is no fun. The full cost of the renovation is on the website, just add your email address and it will be on the welcome email. It outlines what each stage cost and you may be able to identify areas from that where you can save. I have yet to add up all the costs for the new build (I’m a little chicken to do so) but lets just say it was definitely upwards of $500,000, whereas the renovation was more like $420,000 all up. All the best with your project, I’d love to know how you go with it.

      Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge