Wow, what a wild week it was weather wise. Parts of Queensland and the Northern Territory took a beating with both Cyclone Lam and Cyclone Marcia hitting Australia this week. Thankfully Marcia had downgraded to a tropical low by the time it hit Brisbane. The massive amount of rain we received has well and truly settled the fill under the house and shown us that we need to add more fill, or we will end up with a mosquito breeding ground. The house is nearly closed up, still waiting on those front doors, so there was no issue with the inclement weather affecting the internal fixings of the house.
While the builders were busy with their work this week and the rest of Queensland was in cyclone management mode, I was working, and enjoying the beautiful sunny weather of Cape York, in the Northern Queensland community of Pormpuraaw. There they are still waiting for the wet to really set in. We experienced high tides and stormy seas from the effects of Cyclone Lam, which washed away some of the ocean-side tracks, but that was it.
So apart from the teaming rain that greeted me on my return to Brisbane, what else had changed? Well great news this week, the internal stairs have gone in. They look fabulous and certainly make it easier to get up to the second level. The builder sent me a text during the week to outline one minor problem, they cross the corner of one of the three feature windows added to the front of the building. We could ask the builders to move the window up a couple of inches which would fix the problem internally however this would unbalance the look outside. In the end we decided that it is not that big an issue, the window can still be opened easily, it’s not a safety hazard and is not that obvious from the outside. I think the builder breathed a sigh of relief at that.
The bathrooms, toilet, laundry and small front upper deck have had the waterproofing installed and the tiles have been delivered in preparation for the tiler to start next week. Some internal doors have been installed, VJ wall sheeting upstairs fixed in place and the architrave and skirting has commenced. The upper balustrading to the back deck has been reinstated with additional sections made up where required. The plasterers returned and applied the first couple of coats of plaster over the joins. All in all it looks more and more habitable.
The Kitchen designer has come back with plans for the recycled kitchen, laundry and bathroom vanities. The kitchen plan looks fantastic and we have saved approximately $10,000 off installing a brand new kitchen of the same standard. We decided to go with custom made bathroom units as they will look better and after checking what was available off-the-shelf, decided the difference in cost was negligible. The existing kitchen units will be picked up this coming week and taken off to the factory for a tidy up and to have the modifications made.
Finally the painters have all come back with their quotes. They were all fairly close in price so we have chosen to go with the builder’s contact, after all I’m still waiting for the roofing company I chose, to return and complete the job they commenced in December. Thankfully I haven’t paid them yet.
All in all I am happy with the way things are looking, now if we could just sell our other house we could commence the new-build by the end of next month.