Exciting news, the builder has started working on the new build. They actually commenced a couple of weeks ago but the inclement weather we have been experiencing has put a dampener on getting things moving, oh and I forgot to get onto the utilities organisation to get an access point on the new lot, more on that later.
Currently we have a lot of holes in the ground – with quite a bit of water in the bottom of them, I don’t dare let the dog run around the block at the moment, as the holes are two meters deep. The excavating team have been been back and forth, attempting to dig the holes. Initially the block didn’t dry out fast enough though and the site was becoming a bit of a mud bath. They decided to wait an extra week for it to clear up and then of course it would rain again. They were able to dig some trenches for the block walls and the concrete footings for these were poured some weeks ago now.
The builder has been around and commenced setting up the stumps and bearers for the rear of the house, including the rear deck. Yes there are two meter deep holes in to support the rear deck which sits about 0.5m off the ground – seems a bit excessive to me.
I was asked by the builder to arrange for a water meter to be connected to the new lot. Now I was envisioning a water meter at the front of the house – and yes the water meter is at the front of the house – but there also needs to be a connection established at the rear of the lot where the water mains and sewerage is located. Of course once the house is built there will be no access for machinery to the rear of the lot.
This is where my busy schedule has impacted on getting an essential task done. In my defence I did attempt to complete this application months ago but the confusion over how to fill out the form meant I put it in the too hard basket, something I would get back to once I had more time. Unfortunately spare time has been in short supply and with my workload, settling into the new house and a myriad of other life demands I didn’t get back to it, oops. Anyway I completed the form last weekend, unfortunately it was the wrong one. The nice man I eventually got through to in the relevant department however steered me in the right direction and I now have an approval in place, am a few thousand dollars poorer and will hopefully have a connection made in the next couple of weeks.
So I’m off on the road again for a couple of weeks and the builder tells me that when I return the concrete block walls will be up and the stumps, bearers and yellow-tongue flooring down. I am hoping the water connection will also be in so that the rest of the building is not held up.